Sunday, November 27, 2005

Christmas? Give me a friggin break.

Okay guys, Christmas is coming up and you all know what that means! It's time to see one more well-intentioned holiday made into a twisted caricature of itself as Corporate America prostitutes it out. I know I can't be alone in despising the mutually exclusive dichotomy of Christmas. Christmas is meant to be about giving to one another, but the gifts we give are given without thought and without caring. The holiday is meant to be about peace, and love, and "goodwill toward men," but instead we all feel frazzled, stretched, worn down. Christmas makes me want to go throw up or something. Here's what I propose: we are going to have a Christmas-substitute that's all about peace, and love, and goodwill toward men, and our heart's desires.

My plot has been nicknamed the "Christmas boycott holiday party," though it isn't really a boycott as much as a crazy idea. I thought everyone should sit down on the floor in a big circle. Then, one by one, we go around the circle and express our deepest desire. After this everyone will get up and have a cup of tea or something and meditate on what they have said and what they have heard. Finally, everyone goes to sleep, and the following day, everyone can try to live out their deepest desire, and since we have heard each other's desires, it is much easier to try and make these a reality.

Okay, it's crazy and nobody would do it with me. But wouldn't it be interesting? Would people really be curious about what their friends and family truly desired? If everyone knew what everyone else really wanted, would people try and help these wishes come true? Even if they didn't, everyone would gain an understanding of each other that they couldn't otherwise have.

Sure, maybe my notion of Christmas is all wrong. Even so, I like my idea of the Christmas substitute. I, for one, would enjoy it much more than regular Christmas. What do you guys think?

3 Comments:

Blogger Spontaneous Combustion said...

Sounds like a good idea, but are you substituting corporate Christmas? or what Christmas is supposed to be about? Now, I might do this...but would require much, deep, great thought. And of course you would probably need more people....or...not so many so not everyone would feel dumb/embarrassed/etc. sharing such things. But hey, your idea, not mine.

9:11 PM  
Blogger xtraplanetary said...

I am substituting both. I don't much like corporate Christmas and have no reason to celebrate for theological reasons. I probably wouldn't celebrate at all if it weren't for my family... And yeah, I don't know who else would seriously participate.

9:44 PM  
Blogger Spontaneous Combustion said...

That would be another thing, finding people who would take it seriously. And not see it as another chance just to get together for a reckless party for no real constructive reason. I think I'll relieve some stress, I don't want anything (not that you probably planning on getting me anything) and don't really expect much from me.....I don't know...maybe a holiday hug or somethin'.

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home